Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: GAMEVOX is now our comms app... details in the GAMEVOX  section.

Author Topic: The best in-game piracy punishments  (Read 2850 times)

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
The best in-game piracy punishments
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:58:41 AM »
This week Ubisoft revealed that they'd hidden a little handicap in Far Cry 4 just for pirates. Some of those who acquired the game illegally found themselves unable to alter the field-of-view settings, but this is a minor punishment compared to some of the inventive and amusing methods developers have employed over the years. From Arkham Asylum to Red Alert 2, Alan Wake to Grand Theft Auto IV, we've rounded up our favourite in-game pirate-punishing tricks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM by Guest »

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: The best in-game piracy punishments
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:28 AM »
Batman: Arkham Asylum
The Dark Knight falls

Pirates stepping into the bat’s boots will get a comparable experience to purchased versions of the game initially, but the game they’re playing cannot be completed. Rocksteady disabled Batman’s essential cape-glide ability for cracked versions of the game. The Telegraph captured an online complaint from a pirate on the Arkham Asylum forums: “Batman tries to open his wings again and again instead of gliding. So he fels down in a poisoning gas. If somebody could tel me, what should I do there."
"It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code," came the official response.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:20 AM »

?Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2?
Base destruction

There are two things essential to success in Red Alert 2: a base and units. EA's anti-piracy technique targeted both. Within thirty seconds of starting a game, pirates would watch helpless as everything they owned simultaneously detonated in a game ending explosion. It’s funny, but also a wasted opportunity. Thirty seconds is just too short a fuse. For true top trolling, they’d need at least ten minutes of progress to destroy.
Troll rating: 4

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »

?Crysis: Warhead?
Fowl play
If you pirate the otherwise-average Crysis follow-up you’ll run into a surprise the first time you fire a gun to discover that all the bullets have been replaced by chickens. Are the chickens alive? It’s hard to tell because it turns out chickens experience quite a lot of bullet drop and soon hit the ground with speed enough to KO a heavyweight boxer.
The trouble with this anti-piracy technique is that it seems to improve the game somewhat. Shotguns fire a deadly spread of chickens, which is brilliant, and machineguns spit them out at a terrifying rate, and it’s hilarious to spray away while your enemies shout things like “aaaargh!” and “stop that!” See it in action

[youtube:27y0h72g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-zTY7yyuo[/youtube:27y0h72g]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:03:20 AM »

?Serious Sam 3: BFE
Sting in the tail
Serious Sam developers Croteam decided to punish pirates with a terrifying boss monster, a lurid pink scorpion creature that zips around the screen at alarming speed and can never be killed. You can run and dodge his attacks for as long as you like, but he’ll always be there, chasing, watching, waiting to dash around a corner and spike you to death. While some might be put off by the horrifying thing, others that share Sam’s gung-ho attitude could view the stunt as an absurd hard mode

[youtube:qeq79r1e]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91q5BtlxK0[/youtube:qeq79r1e]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »

Alan Wake
Eye for an eye
Some developers take a gentler approach than others when it comes to talking to pirates. Remedy are one such studio. As this Tweeter noted: “If Alan Wake the game detects it has been pirated, it continues running but adds an eye-patch.” The patch adds some bonus personality to the game’s insomniac protagonist, though the lack of depth perception could give him trouble when targeting demons of the night. Frankly, it’s really quite a fetching look for him.
A member of the Remedy team posted in the Steam forums to confirm the trick. “The crack detection didn't do anything evil (like sending over the user's email or IP address details :-) and didn't degrade gameplay in any way. You just got the eye-patch and a loading screen tip encouraging the user to buy the game.”
Troll rating: 1

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »

Game Dev Tycoon
Pirated to death
Game Dev Tycoon is a sim in which you set up a game studio, manage resources, costs and staff, and then release products to the world. The pirated version lets you get that far, but not much further. Upon release, pirates find that their game will start hemorrhaging profits to piracy. The problem worsens and worsens until the studio inevitably fails. It dicks over pirates and teaches an important lesson about empathy and stuff. Good form.
Troll rating: 10

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:46 AM »

Settlers 3
Pig iron
There are multiple things a city needs to function. In Settlers 3, players must collect multiple resources—food, iron, coal, stone and wood—to bring their isometric settlements to life. For most people, that was an achievable task. For pirates, however, an essential ingredient was deliberately missing. In pirated copies of the game, iron smelters would only make pigs, not iron. And while pigs are certainly a useful resource, they have far fewer military applications.
Troll rating: 7

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:06:41 AM »

?Grand? Theft Auto IV?
Go home, you’re drunk
At first, all seems fine, but then you finish the prologue. As the game explains how your safehouse works, the camera starts to shake uncontrollably. It will keep doing this. Forever. If, somehow, pirates soldiered on through the vomit-inducing wobble, they'd have a second trick to content with. Any car Niko entered would automatically accelerate, and instantly start smoking. You've got to hand it to Rockstar: they're not afraid to be nasty. See how long you can last through

[youtube:19qon99g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSL_x-TKnvM[/youtube:19qon99g]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sunra

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
Damn that GTA made me feel sick alright .... Hhahahahahaha

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
made me just about vomit this morning with my Hangover

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sunra

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
lol