Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: GAMEVOX is now our comms app... details in the GAMEVOX  section.

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online Going F2P  (Read 2571 times)

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls Online Going F2P
« on: January 01, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »

You can no longer subscribe to the Elder Scrolls Online for longer than 90 days, as Bethesda has - without mention - removed the six-month option from its site.

As noticed by... well, those who play the game, the only subscription selections available on the MMO are now either 30 or 90-day options.

On the French forums this was all explained away by a moderator as being a simple case of people preferring the shorter subs. But that's not a theory that's holding water with a vocal section of the community.

See, other games have removed longer subscription options just before making the leap to free-to-play. It makes sense, as otherwise you're going to have a lot of long-term subscribers annoyed by a big change.

With the Elder Scrolls Online not exactly setting the world of MMOs alight, it might seem a sensible course of action to remove the paywall and encourage any and all to get involved.

Would losing the subscription model help the good-but-not-great MMO? Who knows. But it's certainly not out of the question for a big release to entirely change its business model shortly after launching.
And it works out okay, sometimes.

Anyway, in lieu of actual information from Bethesda we can just look forward to January's release of update 6, with its Champion and Justice Systems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM by Guest »

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Going F2P
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
Elder Scrolls Online is disappearing from shelves

Looks like EB Games is removing all stock of The Elder Scrolls Online from shelves, removing the game, time cards, and everything else. The merchandise is going to be returned to the publisher, Bethesda.

Kotaku has the scoop, adding that the deadline for the game's removal is the 13th of the January.

Non one's answering at Bethesda's offices, but we'll bet dollars to donuts this is the first stage of the game's transtition away from a pure subscription model to a free-to-play deal.

More news as we get it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »
Elder Scrolls Online reportedly removed from retail shelves amid free-to-play rumoursAustralian retailer EB Games will remove The Elder Scrolls Online from its bricks and mortar shelves on January 13, a Kotaku AU source claims. If the report is true then it serves as fresh evidence that Bethesda intends to scrap the MMO's monthly subscription fees in favour of a free-to-play model. Both boxed copies of the game, as well as pre-paid subscription cards, will reportedly be discontinued.
The development follows news late last year that players can no longer purchase six-month subscriptions to the MMO, which was met with mixed reviews when it launched last year. While a moderator on an official French TESO forum claimed the six-month blocks were discontinued due to lack of demand (ie, customers prefer to buy shorter blocks), evidence is certainly mounting that a change is imminent.
Our Chris Thursten wasn't impressed by Elder Scrolls Online, describing it as "capable, but ultimately hard to recommend". A huge update is due later this month, ushering in dramatic changes to the MMO's post-game.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
[youtube:279gy5sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3Km0LgpsM[/youtube:279gy5sc]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
[youtube:25bb5gk5]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_h7pPmgvk[/youtube:25bb5gk5]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall