Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: GAMEVOX is now our comms app... details in the GAMEVOX  section.

Author Topic: War Thunder Tanks Tech Trees  (Read 2166 times)

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
War Thunder Tanks Tech Trees
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:22:42 AM by Guest »

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM by Guest »

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sarge

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder Tanks Tech Trees
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
The Difference Between Assault Guns and Tank Destroyers

TANK DESTROYER

Tank destroyers are obviously intended as antitank weapons.

Hence, Tank destroyers are anti-tank guns mounted on tracked vehicles. An anti-tank gun fires a high-velocity hardened shell on a flat trajectory, for purposes of piercing through armor.  This means that an anti-tank gun is not as effective against infantry concentrations and forts, as its shell would simply rip through the impact point with minimal blast.

The first German, Soviet and British tank destroyers were hasty lash-ups of existing towed anti-tank guns on any available tracked chassis, and hence had minimal armor. 

While the US was not as hard-pressed as the other three nations in their anti-tank development, early US tank destroyers also had light armor. US planners believed that all-around armor protection against infantry and close-range fire was not necessary, since their TDs would only engage enemy tanks at long range, and enemy infantry would presumably be somewhere else being dealt with by the well-armored tanks. They belatedly learned that the enemy was not so cooperative.

In 1942-43 on the Eastern Front, the Soviets and Germans quickly realized that their open-topped improvised TDs were too vulnerable, and soon switched to purpose-built heavily armored TDs.  Unfortunately, the British and Americans were not paying attention, and the early US tank destroyers received a nasty shock in the French hedgerows in '44.

However, the US and British did not emulate the Soviets and Germans in using heavily armored TDs. Instead, they dropped further research into TDs and simply up-gunned and up-armored their tank designs. The reason for the divergence in approach is probably cost - this is explained in more detail below.

ASSAULT GUN

AGs are intended to give direct fire support to infantry against bunkers, buildings and other fixed targets impervious to infantry small arms. 

This means two things: (i) as AGs closely engage the enemy, they need to be more heavily armored than SP Art; and (ii) since AGs are used to destroy fortifications and buildings, they need to have high-explosive shells, since an armor piercing shell, for example, would simply pass through a building without knocking it down.

Hence, AGs are guns mounted on tracked vehicles.  The use of the term "gun" in contrast to "howitzer" is intended to indicate that the guns mounted on AGs have a flatter trajectory suitable for direct fire. 

However while AGs were originally intended for direct-fire infantry support, it was soon discovered that they were effective against tanks as well.  For example, while the explosive shells fired SU-152 "Beast Killer" could not penetrate Tiger and Panther armor, the blast was so powerful that it could simply blow off the enemy's turret.  Also, some of the guns used on AGs were versatile enough to be fitted with proper armor-piercing shells, so that the AGs could be used as tank destroyers.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sunra

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:21 AM »
Cant wait to drive them :)

ZeeGermans

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »
Lacks FLAK guns :(

Pilot (Styk3r46)

• Sarge loves the 'D'
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »
Quote from: "ZeeGermans"
Lacks FLAK guns :(

Thasts what I was hoping for :(
Creating a true AI will be humanitys greatest achievement, it will also be its last. Stephen Hawking